The "Dead" Canoeist

Go down

The "Dead" Canoeist

Post  Alison on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:20 am

The story making headlines at the minute is about Mr Darwin who faked his death by pretending to drown whilst out in a canoe. Mrs Darwin cashed in the insurance money and they started a new life in Panama. Before they made the move Mr Darwin used to hide in a secret cupboard if anyone came to the house Shocked

Caught by the wonders of the internet when their photograph appreared on an Expat website for Panama, they are now both back in the UK, arrested and in police custody for questioning.

Just goes to show that the internet is a wonderful and dangerous thing. I bet they never thought that day that having an innocent photograph taken would bring them to their demise.

Alison
Alison
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

View user profile http://www.turkeyweddingplanner.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: The "Dead" Canoeist

Post  Mavi on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:39 am

Rolling Eyes the wonders of the net right enough!! 🐒
Mavi
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile http://www.pinkies-salon.com

Back to top Go down

Post  majella on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:20 pm

confused confused Just can't understand why he came back, greed I suppose, they had almost got away with it!!! but all the money was in her name and because he was 'dead' could not be put in name, how did he think if he came back from the dead and said he had lost his memory, did he think no one would investigate, and so the panama picture was found. lol!
majella
Ikbal
Ikbal

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile http://www.johnjamesformalhire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mary on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:08 pm

He came back to hand himself in to the police, using the 'lost my memory' excuse and the wife would have pretended that she thought he was dead also, for the past 5 years. It might have worked had that photograph not emerged.
That completely messed up the big plan.
What amazed me was that if he had lost his memory how did he know he had sons and how did he know where they lived!!!
Apparently the wife only got 25,000 from the insurance. Imagine going through all that for 25,000?
I suppose there will be a book now .... and then the film!
Mary
Odalik
Odalik

Female
Number of posts : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  majella on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:33 pm

yeah she only got 25,000 cash from the insurance but another insurance paid off the morgage on the house, 145,000. Then there was the pay out from the prison service, for dying while still employed, I think I read that it was 70,000 and of course the pensions from, his teaching job and his bank job. I read too that he had thousands of pounds of debts, wonder if they died with him.
I don't think it would have worked, even if the photograph had not turned up, everyone was suspicious when he turned up,as you said how did he know he had sons etc.
majella
Ikbal
Ikbal

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile http://www.johnjamesformalhire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mary on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:39 am

Well, he allegedly 'did' it because he was in enormous debt.
Now he is in even more debt because the debt couldn't have died with him, considering he didn't die!!
On top of that, he now has lost his sons who again 'allegedly' do not want anything to do with either of their parents.
The wife sold their homes so there are going to be alot of people looking for them to pay back the money.
I can't figure out, after doing the 5 years, how stupid he was in the end but I suppose we will find out the details over the next few months when it comes to court.
Mary
Odalik
Odalik

Female
Number of posts : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down